DATA USE POLICY
Last updated: February 23, 2016
INFORMATION WE RECEIVE AND HOW IT IS USED
Information we receive about you
We receive a number of different types of information about you, including:
- Your information: Your information is the information that's required when you sign up for the site, as well as the information you choose to share.
- Registration information: Currently, when you sign up for RELOCALITY, you will be able to register and sign on using and sharing your credentials and information from another service, such as Facebook. In the future, there will be the possibility to register with RELOCALITY natively, which will require you to provide information such as your name, email address, birthday, gender, and any other profile specific information. In some cases, you may be able to register using other information, like your telephone number.
Information you choose to share
Your information also includes the information you choose to share on RELOCALITY, such as when you post, upload a photo, or comment on your post or a friend's post.
It also includes the information you choose to share when you communicate with us, such as when you contact us using an email address, or when you take an action or favorite an article or a website.
Your name, profile pictures, shared profile information, gender, username and User ID are treated just like information you choose to make public.
Your birthday allows us to do things like show you age-appropriate content and advertisements.
Other information we receive about you
We also receive other types of information about you:
- We receive data about you whenever you use or are running RELOCALITY, such as when you view content, make a comment, post content, click on, view or otherwise interact with content and functionality.
- When you post things like photos, videos, audio, or comments on RELOCALITY, we may receive additional related data (or metadata), such as the time, date, and place you took or made the photo, video, audio, or comment.
- We receive data from or about the computer, mobile phone, or other devices you use to access RELOCALITY, including when multiple users log in from the same device. This may include network and communication information, such as your IP address or mobile phone number, and other information about things like your internet service, operating system, location, the type (including identifiers) of the device or browser you use, or the pages you visit. For example, we may get your GPS or other location information.
- We receive data whenever you visit a site with a RELOCALITY feature (such as a social plugin), sometimes through cookies. This may include the date and time you visit the site; the web address, or URL, you're on; technical information about the IP address, browser and the operating system you use; and, if you are logged in to RELOCALITY, your User ID.
- Sometimes we get data from our affiliates or our advertising partners, customers and other third parties that helps us (or them) deliver ads, understand online activity, and generally make RELOCALITY better. For example, an advertiser may tell us information about you (like how you responded to an ad on RELOCALITY or on another site) in order to measure the effectiveness of – and improve the quality of – ads.
- We, affiliates, and the advertisers on our site, may use information that you provide to us to identify goods and services that are of interest to you. We may then disclose information about you to the vendors of these goods and services in order that the vendors may contact you. If at any time you do not want information you provide to us to be disclosed to any third parties, you may opt out of our data sharing policy by following our opt out process and contacting us at optout@RELOCALITY.com.
As described in “How we use the information we receive” we also put together data from the information we already have about you, your friends, and others, so we can offer and suggest a variety of services, offers, and features. For example, we may make content and/or pick stories for you. We may put together your current city with GPS and other location information we have about you to, for example, tell you about people, celebrities, or events nearby, or present offers or deals to you which you might be interested in. We may also put together data about you to serve you other content, ads, or offers that might be more relevant and personalized to you. When we get your GPS location, we put it together with other location information we have about you (like your current city). But we only keep it until it is no longer useful to provide you services, like keeping your last GPS coordinates to send you relevant notifications.
From time to time, we work with advertising partners or customers of ours to build enriched data profiles to make the service better.
When we use the phrase “public information” (which we sometimes refer to as “Everyone information”), we mean the information you choose to make public, as well as information that is always publicly available.
The types of information listed below are always publicly available, and they are treated just like information you decided to make public:
- Profile Pictures: These help your friends and family recognize you. If you are uncomfortable making any of these photos public, you can always delete them. Unless you delete them, when you add a new profile picture or cover photo, the previous photo will remain public in your profile picture or cover photo album.
- Gender: This allows us to refer to you properly.
- Username and User ID: These allow you to give out a custom link to your profile, and help make RELOCALITY'S Data Science Platform and the entire service possible.
Usernames and User IDs
Usernames and User IDs are the same thing – a way to identify you on RELOCALITY. A User ID is a string of numbers and a username generally is some variation of your name. With your username, you get a custom link (a RELOCALITY URL, such as www.RELOCALITY.com/username) to your profile. If someone has your Username or User ID, they can use it to access information about you through the RELOCALITY.com website. For example, if someone has your Username, they can type RELOCALITY.com/Username into their browser and see your public information as well as anything else you've elected to let them see.
How we use the information we receive – Our Covenant with our users
We use the information we receive about you in connection with the services and features we provide to you and other users like your friends, our partners, the advertisers that purchase ads on the site and the developers that build the games, applications, and websites you use. For example, in addition to helping people see and find things that you do and share, we may use the information we receive about you:
- as part of our efforts to keep RELOCALITY products, services and integrations safe and secure;
- to protect RELOCALITY's or others' rights or property;
- to provide you with location features and services, like telling you and your friends when something is going on nearby;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of ads you and others see, including to deliver relevant ads to you;
- for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, and to improve the service.
Granting us permission to use your information not only allows us to provide RELOCALITY as it exists today, but it also allows us to provide you with better and more innovative features and services we develop in the future that use the information we receive about you in new and exciting ways.
While you are allowing us to use the information we receive about you, you always own all of your information. Your trust is important to us, which is why we don't share information we receive about you with others unless we have:
- received your permission; or
- given you notice, such as by telling you about it in this policy
Of course, for information others share about you, they control how it is shared. We store data for as long as it is necessary to provide products and services to you and others, including those described above. Typically, content associated with your account will be kept until your account is deleted. For certain categories of data, we may employ and also tell you about specific data retention practices.
We may enable access to public information that has been shared through our services. We may allow service providers to access information so they can help us provide services.
Deactivating your account
If you want to stop using your account, you can deactivate it.
Deactivating your account puts your account on hold. Other users will no longer see you, but we do not delete any of your information. Deactivating an account is the same as you telling us not to delete any content or information because you might want to reactivate your account at some point in the future. You can deactivate your account by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Some of the things you do on RELOCALITY aren't stored in your account, like posting a comment, that information remains after you deactivate your account.
ADVERTISING AND RELOCALITY CONTENT
RELOCALITY offers a range of products that allow advertisers to reach people on and off RELOCALITY.
When we deliver ads, we do not share your information (information that personally identifies you, such as your name or contact information) with advertisers unless you give us permission. We may provide advertisers with information when we have removed your name and other personally identifying information from it, or combined it with other information so that it no longer personally identifies you. For example, we may tell an advertiser how its ads perform or how many people viewed or clicked on their ads or install an app after seeing an ad.
So we can show you content that you may find interesting, we may use all of the information we receive about you to serve ads that are more relevant to you. For example, this includes:
- information you provide at registration or add to your account,
- things you share and do on RELOCALITY, such as what you like, and your interactions with content, advertisements, partners, connections, or apps,
- keywords from your stories, posts, and comments, and
- things we infer from your use of RELOCALITY.
For many ads we serve, advertisers may choose their audience by location, demographics, likes, keywords, and any other information we receive or infer about users. Here are some of the ways advertisers may target relevant ads:
- demographics and interests: for example, 18 to 35 year-old women who live in the United States and like basketball, or a particular team, athlete, or artist;
- topics or keywords: for example, “music” or people who like a particular song or artist;
- page or content likes (including topics such as products, brands, religion, health status, or political views): for example, if you like a Page about Gluten-free food, you may receive ads about relevant food products; or
- categories (including things like “moviegoer” or a “sci-fi fan”): for example, if a person “likes” the “Star Trek” page and mentions “Star Wars” when they check into a movie theater, we may infer that this person is likely to be a sci-fi fan and advertisers of sci-fi movies could ask us to target that category.
In addition to delivering relevant ads, RELOCALITY sometimes pairs ads with social context.
We also sometimes serve these same types of ads on other sites or may serve just the social context (such as with ads served by others), so that the ads are more relevant to you. Just like any other content you share on RELOCALITY, only people who you're already sharing with on RELOCALITY would see it when it is paired with an ad. We also allow advertisers to reach people on RELOCALITY using the information they already have about you (such as email addresses or whether you have visited their websites previously).
- If an advertiser chooses to run ads, we serve the ads to people who meet criteria the advertiser selects. So, if someone views or otherwise interacts with the ad, the advertiser might assume that the person meets the criteria they selected (for example, that the person is an 18-to-35-year-old woman who lives in the U.S. and likes basketball). We require advertisers to comply with our Advertising Guidelines, including provisions relating to the use of sensitive data.
COOKIES, PIXELS AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Cookies are small pieces of data that are stored on your computer, mobile phone or other device. Pixels are small blocks of code on webpages that do things like allow another server to measure viewing of a webpage and often are used in connection with cookies.
We use technologies like cookies, pixels, and local storage (like on your browser or device, which is similar to a cookie but holds more information) to provide and understand a range of products and services.
We use these technologies to do things like:
- make RELOCALITY easier or faster to use;
- enable features and store information about you (including on your device or in your browser cache) and your use of RELOCALITY;
- improve the quality of our service and offerings
- deliver, understand and improve advertising;
- monitor and understand the use of our products and services; and,
- protect you, others and RELOCALITY.
For example, we may use these tools to know you are logged in to RELOCALITY, to help you use social plugins and share buttons, or to know when you are interacting with our advertising or Platform partners.
SOME OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
RELOCALITY complies with the U.S.-EU and U.S.-Swiss Privacy Shield frameworks as set forth by the Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data from the European Union.
As part of our participation in the Privacy Shield program, we agree to resolve disputes you have with us in connection with our policies and practices through the American Arbitration Association.
Responding to legal requests and preventing harm
We may access, preserve and share your information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. This may include responding to legal requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States where we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards. We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm. Information we receive about you, including financial transaction data related to purchases made with RELOCALITY, may be accessed, processed and retained for an extended period of time when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations concerning possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm. We also may retain information from accounts disabled for violations of our terms for at least a year to prevent repeat abuse or other violations of our terms.
You can access and correct most of your personal data stored by RELOCALITY by logging into your account.
Notifications and Other Messages
Notifications and Other Messages We may send you notifications and other messages using the contact information we have for you, like your email address. You can control most of the notifications you receive in your Account Settings.
When you invite a friend to join RELOCALITY, we send a message on your behalf using your name, and we may also include names and pictures of other people your friend might know on RELOCALITY. We'll also send a few reminders to those you invite, but the invitation will also give your friend the opportunity to opt out of receiving other invitations to join RELOCALITY.
We may memorialize the account of a deceased person. We also may close an account if we receive a formal request that satisfies certain criteria.
Privacy of Children
Relocality is not directed to children under the age of 13. We operate our site in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, and do not permit registration by, and will not knowingly collect or use personally identifiable information from, anyone under 13 years of age. This requirement is clearly posted during the registration process.
We may share information we receive with businesses that are legally part of the same group of companies that RELOCALITY is part of, or that become part of that group (often these companies are called affiliates). Likewise, our affiliates may share information with us as well. This sharing is done in compliance with applicable laws including where such applicable laws require consent. We and our affiliates may use shared information to help provide, understand, and improve our services and their own services.
We give your information to the people and companies that help us provide, understand and improve the services we offer. For example, we may use outside vendors to help host our website, serve photos and videos, process payments, analyze data, conduct and publish research, measure the effectiveness of ads, or provide search results. In some cases we provide the service jointly with another company, such as RELOCALITY subsidiaries. In all of these cases our partners must agree to only use your information consistent with the agreement we enter into with them, as well as this Data Use Policy.
Security and bugs
We do our best to keep your information secure, but we need your help. For more detailed information about staying safe on RELOCALITY. We try to keep RELOCALITY up, bug-free and safe, but can't make guarantees about any part of our services or products.
Change of Control
If the ownership of our business changes, we may transfer your information to the new owner so they can continue to operate the service. But they will still have to honor the commitments we have made in this Data Use Policy.
Notice of Changes
If we make changes to this Data Use Policy we will notify you (for example, by publication here or other direct or indirect means of communication. If the changes are material, we will provide you additional, prominent notice as appropriate under the circumstances.
Your California privacy rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about what personal information a company shares with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. If you have questions about our sharing practices or your rights under California law, please contact us at: privacy@RELOCALITY.com.
CONTACTING THE WEB SITE
If you have any questions about this Data Use Policy, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this site, please contact us at: privacy@RELOCALITY.com.